Thursday, July 1, 2010

You shouldn't wear that!

Honestly!!!!!!!

I've been hearing this, and similar things, since I was a kid. You shouldn't eat this, you shouldn't eat that. you shouldn't wear this, you shouldn't wear that!

I got a few years grace from all this flak, or so I thought. I reckon it's probably because I just shrugged my shoulders and got on with life.

But all of a sudden, I'm being told - again! You shouldn't be wearing that!

Am I committing a crime or something? It's not as though I've run amok, is it?

I saw this lovely little short sleeved cardigan, modern styling, totally different than I've previously chosen or worn. It's in a pretty dove grey colour, and worn over one of my long sleeved shirts, looks good, even if I say so myself. I feel good wearing it.

Well - first of all it was a "friend" (well, she thinks she is) - "that's a bit young for you isn't it?" Then my own young grand-daughter, "Hey Nan, you don't want that do you, this is more my style". The lady serving coffee took one look and said, "I thought of getting myself something like that, but I was told I would be mutton made up as lamb". (She's only in her 30s so who is she kidding?) Was she giving me a subtle message?

Hey look, I no longer care what other people think about what I choose for my wardrobe. I made up my mind a long time that "other people" didn't necessarily know what's best for me, and now I'm certain. By the way, I've just put on my lovely dove grey cardigan (with some other clothes I hope you realise!) and am ready to go shopping - what I'll find may be interesting!

......© 2010 Autumn P of Victoria, Australia

1 comment:

  1. I have a real problem with the people who expect you to wear darker drabber clothes as you get older. Taste? What kind of taste says I have to dress like an old frump, or on the other hand, if I have worn jeans and a tshirt all my life and it is almost my uniform, why do I have to inflict a new style upon myself at this stage of the game? If I want to wear purple, as the poem says, then by God, I'm going to wear purple.

    ReplyDelete